Skip to main content.

Travel Registration for Faculty and Staff Professional and Personal Travel

The Office of International Programs facilitates the registration of professional and personal travel for KU Medical Center faculty and staff.

Step 1
In order to comply with university policy relative to travel, University of Kansas Medical Center faculty and staff planning on professional/educational travel should complete the travel registration form as the first step in the process.  Those who are undertaking personal travel  are strongly encouraged to register travel here as well: 

Register Travel

You will be contacted via email by the Office of International Programs upon receipt for your travel registration with instructions for the next steps.

Learn about the requirements and process for each type of travel below:

Review the KUMC International Professional Travel Policy regarding travel to high-risk locations. Additional information: International Professional Travel for KU Medical Center Employees.


All KU employees are covered by International Travel Insurance. Please see the KU Human Resources Management website for details.

The Office of International Programs will register your trip in the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

You will be asked to submit the following to the Office of International Programs via the Professional/Educational International Travel Form. However, you must complete the Travel Registration Form first.

  • COVID Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability form
  • COVID-19 Entry Requirements form
  • Color copy of your passport
  • Color copy of your VISA (if applicable)
  • Flight and travel itinerary
  • Copy of health insurance card
  • Emergency contact form - employee
  • Assumption of risk (non-high or high risk location)
  • Register for Information Security and International travel training in Saba. Enroll at the bottom of the screen.

Preparation Timeline

Six Months Prior to Departure

  1. Apply for your passport/renew your passport.
    • Note: If you have a valid, unexpired passport, is your passport valid for at least six months after the planned return date of your trip? And do you have at least two pages available for stamps in your passport?
  1. Get your Visa (if applicable).
    • Do you need assistance applying for your Visa? Contact International Programs.
      • Be aware that this process should start four to six months in advance.
      • Be aware that if you are not a U.S. citizen, Visa processing times and requirements vary from country to country.
  1. Make your travel arrangements.
    • If you travel through another country to reach your destination, you may need a transit Visa. Please be sure to bring this to the attention of International Programs. If you are handling your own Visa, check with the airlines. If you are not a U.S. citizen, a transit Visa may be required of you even when it is not required for a U.S. citizen, so be sure to communicate your citizenship.
  1. Start exploring culture and developing your cross-cultural competence by attending International Programs events prior to leaving the country.

Two to Four Months Prior to Departure

  1. Suggestion: Are you a first-time traveler? International Programs offers a health and safety meeting (optional).
  1. Complete required paperwork.
  1. Contact Information Security to ensure all electronics you are taking on your trip are secure.
  2. If you would like International Programs to enroll you in the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), please provide:
    • Color copy of your passport
    • Color copy of your VISA (if applicable)
    • Copy of flight and travel itinerary
    • Cell phone number
  1. Submit this information through the form below:

    Register Travel

Questions or Concerns?

  • For faculty, staff or resident registration, please contact Stacie Rader,, 913-588-1480 (office).
  • For student registration, please contact Kimberly Connelly,, 913-588-1480 (office), as additional requirements may apply.

For non-medical international travel urgencies, please contact Kimberly Connelly,, 816-668-6414 (mobile).

Academic and Student Affairs

University of Kansas Medical Center
Office of International Programs
1017, 1018 & 1019 Dykes
Academic Affairs
Mail Stop 3033
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, KS 66160