Skip to main content.

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid can be a very complicated subject. Get answers to our most frequently asked questions.


You must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may view our Financial Aid Process checklist.

Each program/school awards scholarships. Please contact your department to see how you can apply for their scholarships. Some departments may require a FAFSA to be on file for them to determine your need, it is recommended that you always file FAFSA yearly even if you do not plan to borrow loans. You can find a listing of outside scholarships.

These are our disbursement dates. Any tuition and fees that have been charged at this time will be taken from the disbursement. Anything left over will be released to the student in a refund from Student Financial Accounting. Refunds are only disbursed every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from Student Financial Accounting. If you elect direct deposit (you may set this up through Student Financial Accounting in Enroll and Pay) a refund will be sent, but depending on when your bank draws down from the Federal Reserve, you may not see the deposit in your account until the following business day.

To be an independent student for Financial Aid purposes, you must be able to answer yes to one of the listed questions.

Here are the tuition rates. For a specific breakdown on your program costs and fees, please view the specific school or program website for these.

We have the same school code as the Lawrence campus: 001948.

In most situations, you are more than welcome to bring a document in person, but you may also scan and email it to us at financial or fax it to 913-588-8841. If it pertains to citizenship documentation, please call us at 913-588-5170 to discuss what is needed and if you need to present these documents in person.

You will need to contact Student Financial Accounting to appeal a late fee. Here are the directions.

Students may be eligible to increase their COA for certain situations. Please read over our policy to find out if you are eligible.

Per federal regulations, students receiving federal financial aid must be making "satisfactory academic progress." To find out more, please read up on our policy to understand what this means for you and what you must to do maintain satisfactory academic progress.

When a student is selected for verification, it means that they have been chosen to have the information they reported on the FAFSA "verified" or checked for accuracy. Sometimes students are randomly selected for verification, and sometimes a student is selected based on criteria established prior to the school year. Get more information.

In some instances, a student may be required to repay some or all of the federal financial aid if a course is dropped, or a student withdraws completely. Please see our policy.

There are certain enrollment requirements to receive federal aid for undergraduate and graduate students. To find out if you are eligible, please see our policy.

You will need to complete a summer aid application. This form will be available in the forms section of our site for the current aid year in mid-to late-April in both paper and electronic formats.

The priority deadline for KU Medical Center is March 1 for some programs; however, this does not apply to all programs. For federal loans, you may submit a FAFSA throughout the academic year to apply.

We package each student to the maximum of their eligibility allowed under the federal direct loan limit for student loans. While this might not meet your full cost of attendance, there are additional programs that students can apply for to fulfill their cost of attendance amounts. Please review the loan programs under your class (undergraduate, graduate, medical) to see what additional programs you can apply for.

Yes, a new FAFSA is required every year to determine your eligibility for federal aid. It is advised to submit a FASFA each year even if you do not plan to use federal aid; some departments award need-based scholarships and will need access to this information for you to be considered as a recipient.

If you cannot answer yes to any of these questions, you are a dependent student and must enter your parents' information. If you are a graduate or medical student, you are not required to enter your parents' information, even though the FAFSA may prompt you to since you are attending a health professions school as we do not require it.

Incoming students must submit their applications by March 1. Currently, enrolled students applying for Retro Kansas Medical School Loan Program must submit their application by September 30. These forms can be found in the forms section of our site for the current year.

New and continuing students should visit the page on military and veterans services.

Checks should be made payable to the University of Kansas Medical Center and can be mailed to:

University of Kansas Medical Center
Student Financial Aid
MS 4005
3901 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, Kan. 66160

Please endorse the check over to the University of Kansas Medical Center and submit any enclosures with the scholarship check.

Yes, all financial aid recipients who are awarded scholarships are required to report other resources to the Student Financial Aid office. Scholarship awards must be coordinated with your financial aid package. You can report your scholarships online when you accept your financial aid award through Enroll & Pay. You can also send the Student Financial Aid office a copy of your congratulatory letter from the organization or foundation that awarded you the scholarship.

There are a few reasons that a student’s financial aid may not have been disbursed to their account. Here are a few.

  • You are not taking enough hours to receive federal aid. For details on undergraduate and graduate enrollment requirements, please read KU Medical Center's Enrollment Information.
  • You have not completed a Master Promissory Note.
  • You have not completed the verification process.
  • You are not making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Your financial aid has not been accepted. Students who have been offered financial aid will receive an email to their KU Medical Center email address with instructions on accepting or declining aid on Enroll & Pay.
  • You have not submitted all the requested documents. On Enroll & Pay, a to-do List shows any items that still need to be completed. These can include submitting documentation for any FAFSA issues. Please see Federal Requirements for more information.
Student Financial Aid

University of Kansas Medical Center
Student Financial Aid Office
Mailstop 4005
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, Kan. 66160

Location: G035 Dykes Library
: 913-588-5170
Fax: 913-588-8841