The KU Medical Center Global Scholars Distinction Program recognizes students as engaged leaders who have actively sought extracurricular experiences that interface with culture, health disparities, under-served populations and diverse groups to enhance their classroom academics. These students are genuinely drawn to learning, to leadership and engagement, and it is with great pleasure that we have the opportunity to recognize them. This distinction is noted on the students' transcripts, and official university certificates are issued to them.
- The University of Kansas Medical Center Global Scholars Distinction Program (GSDP) recognizes students who engage in educational experiences that involve working with a variety of cultures and/or with under-served communities. These experiences can be local, national, and/or global.
- The goal of the GSDP is to give permanent recognition to students who take the initiative and show a commitment to extra-curricular activities, including but not limited to volunteering in their communities, learning a foreign language, engaging with other cultures, participating in an international educational experience or leading a student-group focused on health disparities.
- GSDP encourages students to combine classroom learning with experiential learning.
- Highlight cultural awareness, knowledge and skills
- Encourage students to articulate connections between courses and extra-curricular experiences
- Honor those who demonstrate communication, teaching and leadership skills
- Distinguish those who learn or speak a second language
- Spotlight student research
- Recognize experiential learning
Learn more about our program
If you think you might be right for the Global Scholars Distinction Program, check out our brochure for additional information.