Physician Payment Sunshine Act/Open Payments
Open Payments is a federally run disclosure program that is intended to increase public awareness of financial relationships between the health care industry(drug and device companies and GPOs and health care providers.* The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requires the health care industry to collect data on payments and transfers of value and report it to CMS before CMS makes it public information on the Open Payments Website.
*includes physicians and non-physician practioners such as physician assistants, nurse anesthetists, and nurse practitioners.
If you are a covered health care provider and want to review your information before it is published and dispute inaccuracies (if any), please see the instructions for system registration.
If you have previously registered but have not used your account recently, you may need to consult the IDM Account Inactivity directions below.
Part One: CMS Identity Management registration
- IDM New User Registration. https://portal.cms.gov/portal/newuserregistration
- Request Access to Open Payments System
- User Guide for part one
NOTE: IDM Account Inactivity
EIDM will lock your user account if no activity is reported in the account for 60 or more days. When you log in after 60-days, the system will display the "Unlock My Account" view. To unlock the account, enter the user ID and correctly answer the security question. Then enter a new password in the input fields of "New Password" and "Confirm New Password."
EIDM will automatically deactivate any user that has not logged in for 180 days or more. To reactive your account, call 1-855-326-8366.
Part Two: Open Payments System Registration
- Use CMS Identity Management registration credentials to register in the Open Payments System
- User Guide for part two
Tips to Streamline Registration
- Provide your name exactly as it appears in the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES)
- Registration will also require providing National Provider Identifier (NPI) and state license numbers.
Review and Dispute
- The review and dispute period for the program year begins on April 1 (e.g., 2021 calendar year payments may be reviewed and disputed starting April 1, 2022). The opportunity to review and dispute is scheduled to take place within a 45-day time frame and will close on May 15. CMS allows for an additional 15 days for industry to submit revisions. Publication of the data will occur on June 30.
- Please register, review, and dispute payments as early as possible in order to allow additional time for technical issues and to allow sufficient time for disputes. You will be directed to resolve disputes directly with the manufacturer and the manufacturer will submit revisions to CMS.
- Failure to register will result in a lost opportunity to dispute and correct data that will be subject to public disclosure.
- It is also important that you update your KUMC and/or TUKHS COI disclosures if needed.
- For more information visit the Review and Dispute website
- User Guide for review and dispute process
Physician Payment Sunshine Act/Open Payments Information
- AAMC - Open Payments web resource
- CMS - About Open Payments
- CMS - Physician and Teaching Hospitals Home Page
Open Payments Data Page
- CMS Data Explorer -link to individual data, summary data, and searchable database