Learn about coursework options even if you aren't pursuing the master's degree.
Advantages for Students
The KU Department of Dietetics and Nutrition welcomes students who are interested in updating their professional knowledge and skills, but who do not wish to pursue a degree.
Registered dietitians and other health professionals frequently take one or two courses for a professional development portfolio (1 graduate credit = 15 CEU) and also for personal education).
Nondegree-seeking students can decide to pursue a degree if prerequisites for graduate admission are met. An application must be submitted for the degree program and, pending approval, students may apply 6 credits towards the degree.
- Read the nonacademic technical standards carefully. Accepted applicants will be asked to indicate if these standards can be met with or without accommodation.
- Transcripts: Arrange to have one official copy of each transcript from every college and university that you have attended sent directly to KU Medical Center. If the institution provides electronic transcripts, please have them sent to DNtranscripts@kumc.edu. Hardcopy transcripts can be mailed to the following address:
KU Dept. of Dietetics and Nutrition
Mail Stop 4013 / 3901 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66160
- Personal statement: Prepare a statement explaining your professional goals, why you are interested in taking courses with our department, and what specific courses interest you.
References are waived for nondegree applicants.
Costs are the same as those for our degree programs. Visit the Registrar's Office for current tuition and fee rates.
If you are a graduate student in another department at the University of Kansas, contact the instructor for the course of interest to see if the course would be appropriate for someone with your background and career goals. Also, obtain approval from your advisor to use the course toward your degree.
Students at KU Medical Center:
- Enroll in the course in the usual manner.
- You may need to obtain a permission code from the instructor or the department.
Students at the KU Lawrence campus:
- Contact the course instructor to obtain a permission code number.
- Have your advisor contact the Office of the Registrar to institute a "career pointer exception" so that the course will be calculated in your grade point average.
Using the link above, please submit your completed application and pay the application fee. The application fee is paid when you click SUBMIT from the online application. Applicants can pay by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or by electronic check. U.S. banks only. Application fees are non-refundable. Electronic checks will be held for approximately six business days while the check clears.