Skip to main content.

Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions? We've got answers! Read below for information on the topics students often ask us about.

Many of the questions asked by prospective students are similar. Common questions and their answers are summarized below, in the hope that this will aid in your decision-making.

General Questions

The KU Medical Center homepage is a good starting point. Also, the Department of Academic and Student Affairs can direct you to resources and help you navigate life as a medical center student. 

Tuition and fees are set each year by KU and the Kansas Board of Regents. For this year's figures, please visit the Office of the Registrar. Tuition payment is due at the beginning of each semester. International students are required to show evidence of available resources in order to support the costs of study at KU (tuition, fees, housing, living expenses).

No, not during the application process, but students are required to follow the background check procedure once accepted into the program and to complete it before entering the program.

If you're a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for federal aid or scholarships. Learn about how to apply for aid and scholarship opportunities in our entry-level doctoral program. We also encourage you to take a look at scholarship opportunities from the School of Health Professions, which are available to students once they've entered a program.

Although our program does not require proof of volunteering or shadowing experiences, we review applicants holistically and recommend that applicants include any shadowing and related volunteer experiences in their application materials.

KU Medical Center does not have student housing. Students live in apartments or rooms in the surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own accommodations. GradRENT provides listings of available off-campus housing.

Hard copies of the catalog are no longer available. Visit the Academic Catalog website to explore KU's entry-level doctorate in occupational therapy degree.

We don't like to brag, but Kansas is pretty awesome! Get a taste of life in Kansas City, and learn a bit more about what our beautiful city has to offer.

KU Medical Center is centrally located in Kansas City and easily accessible from I-35. The campus resides at 39th Street and Rainbow Boulevard. See: KU Medical Center maps, parking and directions. The main campus of KU is located in Lawrence, Kan. along Interstate 70. See: KU-Lawrence maps, parking and directions.

International Student Questions

There are a series of forms and approvals that are necessary in order to obtain an F-1 student visa. When the student is accepted into the program, they must provide documentation that they have sufficient financial resources to support their living and education expenses. Once this documentation is received, the department submits a request for I-20 form through the approval channels. Once that request is approved, it's sent to the student in their home country. The student then takes that form to the U.S. consulate and obtains an F-1 (student) visa which permits them to study in the U.S.

In order to be considered for admission, students who are not native English speakers must take the TOEFL and earn a sufficient score to be eligible for admission. This requirement is waived for non-native English speakers who have earned at least a bachelor's degree from an institution in the U.S.

All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated before they will be accepted. Please see our information for international students page for more details about this procedure.

The School of Health Professions provides additional guidance to students from outside the U.S. Please see: information for international applicants.

Discover a few of the many international educational experiences KU students have enjoyed recently.

The Office of International Programs also may help answer many questions. Please contact the office to help find answers to questions related to being an international student in Kansas City.

Have more questions?

We're here to help students each step of the way. Please get in touch if you'd like to discuss your specific questions.

Contact Us

KU School of Health Professions

Occupational Therapy Education
KU Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Blvd  MS2003
Kansas City, KS 66160
913-588-7195 • 711 TTY