At KU School of Medicine-Wichita, we strive to create a culture of overall wellness. Our campus is a proud participant in the WorkWell KS initiative. Additionally, our students, residents, faculty and staff members have access to a variety of health and wellness resources.
Campus Wellness Resources
Our modern fitness room is located in the basement of our main building and is open to everyone on campus. A campus access card is required to gain entry along with a Wellness Room consent form. For more information, contact our Safety & Emergency Management department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equipment available for use:
- Recumbent Bike
- Weight System
- Weight Bench
- Bosu Balance Trainer
- Yoga Balls
- Step Platforms
- TVs with cable, VHS & DVD player
- Restroom with shower, towels and private changing area
Campus walking maps
Ideas to get moving
- Having a meeting? Consider a walking meeting - or go wild and host the meeting in the Wellness Room. Do some light weightlifting with the free weights as you discuss your agenda.
- Going up? Take the stairs if you can instead of the elevator. Bonus: It helps the environment by saving electricity.
- Standing desks are rising in popularity on the campus. Check out this article from Healthline about the benefits of using a standing desk.
Mental health awareness
We can all help prevent suicide. Anyone could be struggling. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides free, confidential support and resources for people in distress. If you or someone you know needs support now, call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org. The local 24/7 suicide prevention hotline is 316-660-7500.
- Learn how to spot suicide warning signs.
- Screening for Adult Depression
- ACGME Physician Well-Being
- American Psychiatric Association website on suicide prevention
- "Time to Talk About It: Physician Depression & Suicide" - AAMC MedEdPORTAL publication
- "Make a Difference: Preventing Medical Trainee Suicide" - Mayo Clinic awareness video
- Resources from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, including toolkits for medical schools, residency programs and fellowships
Resources for students, resident physicians and employees
KU School of Medicine-Wichita students can access personal counseling resources through the ASA SharePoint site. Employee Assistance Programs and resources are also available for KUSM-W resident doctors, along with KUSM-W faculty and staff members and Medical Practice Association employees.
KU School of Medicine-Wichita has a dedicated space for nursing mothers and received the Gold Level Breastfeeding Employees Support Award from the Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition. The Mother's Room is adjacent to Roberts Amphitheater.