Promotion and Tenure (P&T)
Promotion and Tenure is a significant event in the life of a faculty member. The Faculty Affairs and Development office is committed to support and assist our School of Medicine faculty with academic success.
- There is no minimum time frame to go up for promotion on the non-tenure tracks: clinical, clinical scholar, educator, research.
- The average time to go from assistant professor to associate professor is typically five years and it is merit-based.
- Review the Academic Rank Matrix (PDF) for promotion requirements for all ranks and tracks.
- Review the Domain Expectations documents for the requirements by Career Level (PDF) or by Domain (PDF).
- After reviewing the Academic Rank Matrix and Domain Expectations, determine whether your accomplishments meet the requirements and expectations to substantiate promotion.
- Seek advice from your Department Chair, Division Director and Department APT Committee Chair.
For additional details on applying for promotion and/or tenure, please visit the Applying for Promotion page.
- 2024 is your mandatory year to apply for promotion for the award of Tenure if you are on the Tenure Track and were hired (or received an extension) in 2019.
- Further details about Mandatory Reviews are available by clicking on the Tenure Track link towards the top of this page.
Questions about promotion and tenure?
Please contact Angie Basgall for additional guidance.